Thursday, July 30, 2009

Eckankore - Mixdown 1

(Mr Phreek at The Smell circa 2000/2001 - Photo by Ackronomicon)

Again, not a lot of time to post lately, but I wanted, at least, to get one more thing up before the month ended.

After Ed left Eckankore, Ron tried collaborating with Kris Andersen and then just doing things on his own, but nothing really clicked. (You can hear those recordings here.)

Finally, he asked me to join and these are our first "rehearsal" sessions together. Apparently, Ron really like what I did and how I was able to follow his lead, and I ended up joining Eckankore for a spell until I moved to NY. We performed several shows at The Smell in Downtown LA with Emerson Balla controlling the visuals. Emerson typically had nine film projectors running at once, and he'd run around the room switching film loops to the noise that Ron and I made. I always had a bottle of Seagrams 7 Whiskey that I'd drink before, during and after our set. Emerson drank some, too, to get in the mood. These performances were quite ear-shattering and I wish I had them documented. Oh well. At least I have the few "rehearsal" tapes that Ron and I made.

The tracks:
(note: there are only two, so they're linked individually)

01. 1/26/01 (Vagueness Visible)

02. 2/9/01

Eckankore
Mixdown 1 CS
(n/a)
2001


1 comment:

  1. As always, it is nice to hear stuff in which I participated but only have a vague recollection of doing.

    On one hand, it makes for swell accompaniment while doing the laundry.
    On the other hand it goes on for too long. Like a Judd Apatow movie, except it is actually funny in parts.

    -ron k.

    ReplyDelete