Thursday, November 5, 2009

Jerk Alert - Jerk Alert

Before World War IX, Justin Melkmann swung his left-handed axe in his first band, Jerk Alert.

In his excellent punk rock comic book, Slap in the Face: My Obsession with GG Allin, Justin wrote:

"A comment from a friend of mine, who I was trying to turn on to [The Donnas' debut, Rock and Roll Machine] kinda turned me on my head. He said that the music was good, but nothing special. And if I liked this simple stuff so much, then why don't I just start my own group. I couldn't wrap my mind around this ludicrous concept, but I knew he was right."

He continued:

"About a year later, I was at my friend Julie's karaoke birthday party and it hit me, hard. I'd had no idea she possessed such a great voice--very Joan Jett. She sang Madonna's 'Like a Virgin,' but it sounded nice and rough."

"I knew how to play a handful of chords on the guitar and it was then and there that I got the wacky idea to go ahead and try to start my very own band! Alcohol and karaoke can make for an inspiring combination indeed."

Though much less "hardcore" than WWIX, the songs on this CD stand out for their catchy, almost early '60s pop, melodies (that Frankie Valli influence perhaps?) and strong female vocals.

In various emails, Justin told me, "It's sooooooo innocent...I like it, but man is it...uh....old. sounds really muddy, and we didn't bother to record a second guitar. And that's not good. We were on a Jabbers only tribute cd outta sweden though, and that was freaking great...We were in such a bubble at the time. We didn't know hardly any other bands. Music seemed dead. Now? Christ, there's a great band playing every night of the week."

Hey, it's punk rock!

The images and music were uploaded with Justin Melkmann's consent. Thank you, Justin!

Jerk Alert
Jerk Alert CD
(Jerk Alert)
2000


Sample Tracks:

What I Want

Bag Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment